VILANO BEACH – The North Shores Improvement Association (NSIA) received a $5000 grant to implement a community art program allowing local artists opportunities to collaborate and hopefully stimulate their creative juices.
The “Vilano Beach Art Program” is supported by a grant from the Dr. JoAnn Crisp-Ellert Fund at the Community Foundation for Northeast Florida. Now in its 53rd year, the Community Foundation for Northeast Florida (www.jaxcf.org) is Florida’s oldest and largest community foundation. The Foundation works to stimulate philanthropy to build a better community – helping donors invest their philanthropic gifts wisely, helping nonprofits serve the region effectively, and helping people come together to make the community a better place. The Foundation has more than $344 million in assets and has made grants in excess of $410 million since 1964.
The goal of the Vilano Beach Art Program is to provide local artists a space and guidance to explore their talents. We will open the NSIA Community Center weekly (Wednesday’s from 12-3 PM) to provide our artists space to practice their favorite style of art. “This will not only provide you with space to paint, draw etc. but allow you to collaborative and network with other local artists and neighbors” says Art Program Director, Fran Windeler. The Art Committee surveyed residents to determine the level of interest in the program and sought feedback to make the Art Program most relevant to budding local artists.
Fran indicated that the program will have a combination of weekly open art studio and instructional programs in a variety of mediums. Based on the feedback received from the community there is a high interest in: mixed media, acrylic, watercolor and oil. For those who are interested in Plein Air, we will have a group that will paint in various locations across our beautiful coastal community.
- The Open Art Studio will kick off on Sept. 27 from noon to 3 p.m. at the North Shores Community Center.
- Participants should bring all their own supplies. The studio will provide tables and chairs.
- Space is limited so we highly encourage you to Pre-register to guarantee a spot. This will also reduce administrative time the day of so you can get right to your art. Please register at vilanobeachfl.comlook for the Vilano Beach Art Program tab.
- The weekly sessions will be provided for a nominal fee of $5 for NSIA members and $10 for non-members.
- You can become a member by going to vilanobeachfl.com/membershipand signing up. This will reduce your weekly cost, only $15 a year for an individual to join.
The goal is to be part of the Vilano Beach Festival in April 2018 showcasing our local art work created throughout the year. Fran also indicated there are plans to have a public art exhibit. We hope this brings the community a great deal of creative enjoyment throughout the year and we can attract a variety of artists to our community,
To find out more about this program or to be added to the email distribution list please email: ArtprogamNSIA@gmail.com
with your contact information and questions.