SAINT AUGUSTINE – The St. Augustine Historical Society recently replaced the historic marker located on the Alligator Farm property on Anastasia island!
The marker tells the story of when the town of St. Augustine was briefly located on Anastasia Island from 1566-1572. In a 1925 issue of Florida Historical Quarterly, historian Jeannette Thurber Conner published an article about the forts on the island. In 1997, historian Eugene Lyon expanded the research on the town in an article entitled “Three Wooden Forts,”in El Escribano, the journal of the St. Augustine Historical Society. Much of what is known about when the town was located on Anastasia Island is based off the research of Dr. Lyon.
Dr. Susan Parker created the text for the historic marker in early 2016 and arranged for the marker to be displayed on the Alligator Farm property in a prime location right on A1A.
The marker was originally unveiled on September 8, 2016, the anniversary of St. Augustine’s founding.
However, just a year after its unveiling, the original marker was destroyed by a vehicle in the late night hours.
The St. Augustine Historical Society is happy to report that the new marker has arrived and has been installed. Thanks to the St. Augustine Alligator Farm for receiving and erecting the new marker and allowing the St. Augustine Historical Society to place it on Alligator Farm property!