By LORAINE THOMPSON
SAINT AUGUSTINE – St. Anastasia Catholic Church jumpstarts its 10th concert series on Sunday, Oct. 13 with a pre-season symphonic splash by the Civic Orchestra of Jacksonville performing the music of Dvorak and Dupre. The concert, which will feature organist Peter Morin, will take place at 5 p.m. at the church located at 5201 S. A1A on Anastasia Island. .
“I am excited to be performing with the Civic Orchestra as organist for this special concert,” Morin commented.
Morin will perform Cortege et Litanie, op. 19, No. 2 by Marcel Dupré and will be accompanied by the Civic Symphony who will later perform Symphony No. 9 in E minor, From the New World, op. 95by Antonin Dvorak.
Morin is the church’s music director and has organized the concert series since 2010. His innovative approach to church music continues to impress the regular and seasonal congregations throughout the liturgical seasons. He has a master’s of sacred music in organ performance from Emory University, served an internship at Worcester Cathedral in England, and was choir director in churches in New York, Georgia and Massachusetts.
Founded in 2016, the Civic Symphony of Jacksonville includes sixty musicians— professionals, skilled amateurs, and talented students aged 18 to 88–from Jacksonville and other areas of the First Coast. Marguerite Richardson, D.M. is the conductor.
The concert series continues on Oct. 18 with the Brass Roots Trio with Jazz Vespers in the church. Concert time is 7 p.m. Other performances in the series and concert dates, times, and locations include:
- Nov. 9, 7 p.m., church, Italian born pianist Pietro Iannotti
- Nov. 16, 7 p.m., Celebration Hall, Barbara VanRysdam & Friends in a charity concert supporting Operation New Hope ($10 door charge)
- Dec. 15, 4 p.m., church, St. Augustine Concert Band
- Dec. 22, 4 p.m., church, The Metzger-Schmitz Christmas Concert featuring the Choirs of St. Anastasia and Special Guests
- Jan. 5, 3 p.m., church, Epiphany Lessons and Carols Concert Service
- Jan. 18, 7 p.m., Celebration Hall, Ben Rosenblum Jazz Trio ($10 door charge)
- Feb. 22, 7 p.m., church, Arianna and Robin, Four Hand, Two Pianos
- March 1, time tbd, Celebration Hall, Paul Brock Band ($10 door charge)
- March 14, 7 p.m., church, The Powell Trio (Helen Morin, Randy Tinnin, Curtis Powell)
- April 19, 6 p.m., church, Jacksonville University Symphony Orchestra
The concerts are open to the public and are free unless noted with a $10 donation to assist in covering performance expenses. Parking is free. While most concerts will take place in the church, some will be performed in Celebration Hall in the St. Enda of Aran Formation Center on the church campus.
For more details email email@example.com
# # #