SAINT AUGUSTINE – The Lightner Museum is hosting a mural competition, and artists from anywhere are invited to submit entries. The winning concept will be selected by the Lightner’s staff and Board of Trustees, and then displayed on the back wall of the newly refurbished music room.
“The Lightner Museum is excited to offer artists a chance to become part of the museum’s diverse collection,” said Teresa Radzinski, Chair of the Board of Trustees.
During the COVID-19 lockdown, the Lightner was able to complete an entire first floor renovation. For example, the gift shop is now located in the home of the former Victorian Village. In the music room, which houses the museum’s collection of 19th century mechanical musical instruments, the floors were redone, the walls were repainted, and several instruments were shipped out for repair. The back wall is now ideally suited as prime space for a mural.
As a way to celebrate all of these exciting changes, the Lightner Museum is seeking submissions for mural concepts that reflect the history of the museum, the Gilded Age, and/or the history of music.
Submissions will be accepted until July 15, 2020, and participation is free. Artists are welcome to stop in at the museum and take a look at the updated music room.
· Submit a sketch of your mural design
· Include a short artist statement
· Add any supporting images that reflect your concept
Wall Size: 23’6” x 8’
The winner receives:
· An invitation as the Guest of Honor at the mural unveiling event (TBD)
· A $500 stipend
· Recognition on the museum’s website, social media pages, along with press coverage
· Lifelong membership at the Lightner Museum
· Bragging rights that your artwork is housed in the Lightner Museum!
All submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the Music Room Mural Contest, please contact Angela at 904.824.2874 X103.